Saturday, September 1, 2007

Atlanta GA Mar 24/91


Atlanta GA Mar 25 10:30 AM 1891

Mrs. H.M. Caine
25-3 Gratz ST
Knoxville Tenn




Atlanta GA Mar 24/91


My Darling Mamma-
Your dear letter came this morning and did me so much good. This afternoon the bundles of letters from the five girls came and are all lovely and sweet, and you shall read them all before long.
The weather is perfectly beautiful and I am feeling splendidly.
Mrs. Angier says the rest has really improved my voice and she said yesterday that my tones were "perfectly exquisite". I realize myself I am singing unusually well, and can only lay it to the inspiration of this universal atmosphere--it would simply be impossible not to have all ones best efforts called to the front whenever Mrs. Angier is.
I had a sweet talk with Mr. Angier Sunday night about his voice--they are really going abroad in September and Mr. Angier is going in to grand opera again. Wouldn't it be nice if you and Walter and Jo and the rest of us were rich enough to go over and hear him make his début in Paris?
All of Mrs. Angier's pupils are making splendid progress and it is a perfect pleasure to listen to the lessons.
Last Night Mr. Wayer was here and we all stayed down stairs listening to Mr. Angier and singing ourselves till early eleven o'clock. How I do wish you could be here some of these musical evenings.
Nell is singing gloriously. Mrs. O'brien was here for her lesson Friday and was very lovely to me, but nothing was said about Cousin Lane, and it all continues to remain a mystery.
Yesterday afternoon I went to every available store in the city hunting for capes, there wasn't a very large selection, for you know the season begins earlier here and an immense number had already been sold. They all seemed so high priced, too, and I almost regretted having left the little tan cape to Jo. Finally I found an extremely handsome cape, heavily embroidered down the back and front, prettily shaped and the "swellest" one I had seen and a beautiful shade of tan, but the price was only $17.50. The man was very anxious to sell it because the season is so nearly over, and at last when I had looked through the entire stock and couldn't find a thing and was about to leave the store, he said rather than run the risk of carrying the caper over he would let me have it for nine dollars, and I took it. I hated to pay so much, but I just could not find anything more inexpensive that would do at all, and as it is, I have an extremely handsome wrap and shall take a great comfort in it. It is very rich looking and all the girls think it is beautiful.
How many yards will it take for my gingham dress and shall I get it here if I find anything pretty?
What makes you think I had better have my "la' gown" made so soon? (I suppose you mean the blue Cashmere wrapper.) Is Miss Waskell going to make my two china silk waists? I should surely think she could make the black one at least.
How do you mean to "fix" the little poem for Edna's birthday?
I am going out for a little walk now and wish I could take you with me, dearest. With much love to all, affectionately yours, Anna

No comments: