Thursday, August 30, 2007

Kansas City, MO Nov 26/94

Mrs. Helen. M. Caine
1021 Gratz Ave.
Knoxville Tenn.

Kansas City, MO Nov 26/94

My dear little Mamma,
I was sorry to write you in such a great hurry Saturday, but I found it must be that way or not at all. After I had finished I went over to Louise's and she seemed delighted to see me. She says she has gotten to depend on me so much that she doesn't feel she can do anything without me. There are still a good many things to be bought and attended to and I presume it will take about all the time I can spare from my own doings.
We went to church a good deal last week and enjoyed Dr. Quayle so much better than when Mr. Harrison conducted them. We went Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and I attended one afternoon meeting. Dr. Quayle's talks are fine.
Thursday evening he asked me to sing "almost persuaded", and afterward he told me he saw a great many people wiping their eyes. Ever so many came up and said nice things about it, and yesterday I sang in Sunday school. So you see I am trying to do my "duty" a little, dearest.
Nelly drove us over to George's after Sunday school and we found the Balens and Bridgefords there and we heard they had had several more callers, and I presume they will have it that way every Sunday afternoon for sometime. Louise is keeping up better than we expected, but I think she is inclined to worry over things a good deal as we are dearest. We went back to the home folks for lunch and then went back to church and stayed to the after meeting. Col. and Mrs. Neff and Ward start for Chicago tonight. We had an invitation to go home for dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Babcock as yesterday was their anniversary also, but our own dinner was prepared and it isn't necessary to tell you that we preferred being in our own nest by ourselves. We had raw apples, quails, washed potatoes, escalloped oysters, celery, salted almonds, marmalade, apple snow cake, and pears. Of course we used our anniversary gifts and were both delighted with them. Walter said to tell you they are the prettiest oyster forks in town, that the salt and pepper shakers are beautiful, and that if you get in the poor house we will come and get you out (provided. of course, we aren't already there ourselves.)
We spoke of you often during dinner and wished that you and Jo and Uncle Warren and Auntie were with us. Walter said to tell you that you must be here by the 12th of December sure, and I say so, too. Don't for anything wait for Anne for she may not come for months for all I know--there are so many things at home to interfere with her plans and wishes--and so unless you consider it your absolute duty to stay, I think you ought to get your trunk out of the store room and begin to pack. I think I can get your wardrobe and closet cleaned out in a week--if not you can help me do it. I have done little Christmas shopping, but by far the larger part of my list is yet to be filled, and it takes more time when one has to plan how to get the most for the money. And I find it not nearly so easy as when you are here to help me plan. I only wish you could bring Mrs. Wizzy home with you. Walter says he has heard there are to be special rates on a good many of the roads, and I hope you may be able to take advantage of them.
Give all the dear home people lots of love and tell them Walter and I would simply be overjoyed to have them here.
Lovingly, Anna

No comments: