Saturday, September 1, 2007

Nantucket, Mass, Aug 23rd

Nantucket, Mass, Aug 23rd

Dear little Mamma,
We have been so constantly “on the go” ever since we left home that it has been almost impossible to write anything like a letter, and we are only now getting a little breathing spell and not a very big one even now, for it takes all the morning mearly for the bathing, and there are a number of little trips which we want to take around the Island before we leave for Boston on Saturday. So much going about keeps us both very tired and yet we feel we just must make the most of our time and see as much as possible, for we shall probably not come east again for a long time. I won’t try to tell you about our two days in New York till I get home, but the time was well filled, you may be sure. I was so glad we were there to see the welcoming of the battle ships-it was a great sight, and we saw everything to good advantage from the steamer. We left New York Saturday night and reached Providence the next morning, there we changed cars for New Bedford and there took the steamer for Nantucket- it was a thirty mile voyage- from half past eight till one, and the day couldn't have been finer or the journey more delightful. It was simply delicious. We were not able to get to get in at the Sea Cliff Inn (the Sea Cliff Inn on Cliff Road was shut down and actually dismantled and remade into some of the cliff mansions you can see today.) where Louise was, as they were turning people away by the dozen, and it is just as well for our pocket book. We had intended going to the Nantucket House, which is right on the beach, but it is closed this summer, so we are at the Veranda House, a queer old fashioned place which seems quite suited to the town. Our room is comfortable with sea views from both windows, and the table is good, though not luxurious. The fish of course is fine, and everything else is well cooked. The price is ten dollars a week for each, and Louise paid more than twice that much at the Sea Cliff last year and said the fare was poor. We both got bathing suits at Wanamaker’s while we were in New York and we go in every morning- Walter has been twice today, but I must confess that I don’t care much for sea bathing and take it as rather a bitter dose- it is too sticky and sandy and the bath houses aren’t clean enough. I try not to think about dirt, for I really ought to have a rest from it once a year, but I see it and hate it just as much as ever. Nantucket is an old town, was founded about 1635 I believe, and the houses are as quaint and old-timey as possible. The streets are narrow and all mixed up, and of course I enjoy the picturesqueness greatly, but all the hotels are a good ways from the beach and it’s a job to go and come, we ride down in the bus and walk back so as not to catch cold. Walter has a good time swimming and floating, and tries to teach me, but I feel sure I shall drown the minute my feet leave the bottom, then I scream and of course get my mouth full of water. I think I shall be contented to go to the mountains for the next ten years. We stopped at Cottage City a few minutes on our way here, but didn’t see Eloise, as we did not decide upon coming here in time to let her know. We had a letter from her Friday and she said she was coming over here on an excursion Thursday, so we shall have a chance to visit and talk over our plans soon. She is tempted to take the Boston trip with us, but hasn’t decided yet, we are so pressed for time that we shan’t be able to give more than two days to Boston, I am afraid. Of course we shall take time to call on Mrs. Fowler and her daughter Mrs. Chase. Give Miss Miles and Mrs. Walter Fowler my love if you see them Sunday and tell them I wish they were to be in Boston, too. And you must give the Dear Quayles a great deal of love and tell them we are tempted to move to Indianapolis, too. We haven’t heard a word from Mrs. Landers and I am so anxious to. I am wandering if hateful old Marry left Mother Neff as she threatened to. Give her a whole lot of love from us both and tell her Walter has intended writing to her even since we left home, but I’m afraid he hasn’t done as yet. Our plan for the rest of the time is this though it may possibly have to be changed a little-------



Leave Nantucket Saturday noon.
Reach Boston Saturday night.

Sunday Boston
Monday

Tuesday) Newp

Wed.
Thurs.
Fri. New York
Sat.
Sun.
Mon.

Leave New York Monday night.

Tues. Washington
Wed.

Leave Washington Thurs morning.
Reach Kansas City Friday Night.


I have misplaced your letter, so if you asked any questions you must forgive me for not answering them. We shall soon be home now and then we can have plenty of time to talk over everything.
Don’t forget that you can have that Mr. Kiplinger from the office anytime you want him, and now please don’t wait dearest, till you are all nervous and are half killed with Neuralgia.
Walter is in bed and asleep and I suppose I ought to be.
Tell Dora they have lots of huckleberries here and we have them in pies and puddings, but no huckleberry bread. What a pity I didn’t bring the recipe for the benefit of the hotel!
With much love,
Yours affectionately-
Anna

No comments: