Saturday, September 1, 2007

Atlanta, Apr. 27, 1890

Atlanta, Apr. 27, 1890

My darling Mamma,
This is Sunday, you see, and I have just finished my afternoon nap, which I trust will put me in “good voice” for tonight.
This morning I sang a very pretty solo and the people seemed to enjoy it.
Dr. Hobbs came to church last Sunday and expressed his pleasure in hearing me sing. And this morning I saw him again in the congregation With Mrs. Hobbs. Cousin Lane was there, too.
When I went to my place in the chair I found a bunch of most beautiful roses and maiden hair fern which Mr. Hinman, the bass, had left there for me. Wasn’t it a nice little attention?
Tonight we are going to sing the prayer from the Russian’s ‘Moses in Egypt’, in which the tenor, bass, and soprano all have short solos.
I received the heliotrope velvet and a letter from Emma on this morning’s mail. Emma says she will surely come, that is, ‘if I will have her’. She will buy an excursion ticket on the 20th and will come anytime that week that I say. I will be home on the 19th so I think she had better start on the 20th, don’t you?
She says whenever she tries to persuade Julia to come she responds with an ‘Oh!’ which Emma says she doesn’t quite understand, unless it means that she doesn’t intend to ‘pester’ us with a visit.
I am sorry; for I would love to have her come and thought she would surely know I was sincere in asking her. I shall try to write to both the girls again tomorrow.
And then we can select a bonnet together? Just think! Only three weeks from tonight and I will be with you. Oh ‘I’m glad’. Much love,
Anna

No comments: